Monday, July 7, 2014

Mirado the 5th (ed)

So I was wondering, how would Mirado (of the many titles) turn out in 5th edition D&D?

It so happens I kept my rolls, since I blogged about them here. It also just so happens that I rolled 4d6 drop lowest, arrange to taste.

The better of the two sets of stats - my first set, actually - was:

16
12
13
13
12
11

Let's arrange them and give the +1 to all of them for being human - giving 17/13/14/14/13/12 to hand around.

STR 17 (+3)
DEX 14 (+2)
CON 14 (+2)
INT 12 (+1)
WIS 13 (+1)
CHA 13 (+1)

Sweet. Mirado has some nice stats for 5e, a bit better than he'd get from the pre-rolled set (15/14/13/12/10/8)

Fighting Style? That's tough. Mirado originally was a sword-and-shield fighter with a bastard sword, so Great Weapon Fighting could fit, so could Defense, so could Dueling (assume a shield doesn't count as a weapon). But around second level he found that ogre's head and has been dual-wielding it for a while. So in retrospect Two-Weapon Fighting would suit him the best. I doubt I'd have started that way, though, and I'd probably have chosen the prosaic but simple Defense or Great Weapon Fighting. Let's go with Defense as his style.

Gear?

I seem to start with a bunch of gear. Armor, weapons, gear . . .or you can roll for money. Let's just take the gear, it's all stuff I bought anyway to start with.

You can't start with both mail and a longbow. You can start with a crossbow - and they do more damage than longbows. Also nice - that's something I'm used to from GURPS . . . crossbows generally out-damaging bows at a cost of some firing speed.

A longsword replaces the S&W bastard sword, since it's the Germanic longsword I'm looking for, anyway. It's only 3 pounds, thankfully - all the weapon and armor weights are more realistic, not rated in some bizarre "GP of encumbrance" crud. And lighter than GURPS, too, which has had issues with heavier weapons and overweighted armor itself.

So here are my gear selections:

- Chain mail
- Longsword and shield
- light crossbow and 20 bolts
- dungeoneer's pack



Background

I like the "Soldier" background - it's also Mirado's - he was a soldier who moved on to adventuring after a tragic disaster caused by the Southern Reach A-Team wiped out all high level NPCs. From the list of specialties I chose "Infantry." That's Mirado - a simple hack-and-slash fighter.

Personality traits? Hmmm.

Personality Trait (2): I can stare down a hell hound without flinching and I face problems head on.
Ideal: Live and Let Live.
Bond: Those who fight besides me are worth dying for.
Flaw: Hmm, tough. They all fail to describe Mirado. How about a new one? "If my friends all jumped down a pit, I'd jump in after them." He's loyal to his friends to a fault, even if "run away and come back later" would be a better solution.

So, here is how he looks in 5e:


Mirado the Slow
Human Fighter
Level 1
XP: 0
Needs 300 for next level.

STR 17 (+3)
DEX 14(+2)
CON 14 (+2)
INT 12 (+1)
WIS 13 (+1)
CHA 13 (+1)

HP 12
AC 17 (19 with shield) (chain mail AC 16, No Dex for heavy armor, +1 from Defensive, +2 from shield)
Move Base 30 feet
Proficiency Bonus: +2
Skills: Perception, Survival
Fighting Style: Defense


Personality Trait (2): I can stare down a hell hound without flinching and I face problems head on.
Ideal: Live and Let Live.
Bond: Those who fight besides me are worth dying for.
Flaw: If my friends all jumped down a pit, I'd jump in after them.

Armor and Weapons:
Chain mail - AC 16, 55 lbs.
Longsword - 1d8+3 slashing, 1d10+3 slashing two-handed - 3 lbs.
Light Crossbow - 1d8 piercing, 5 lbs.
20 bolts
Shield - +2 AC, 6 lbs


He needs some work, but that's a pretty good start. Anything I miss or get wrong? It's my 1st 5e guy, so I might be missing some stuff.

2 comments:

  1. You should do another post where you try and plus him up to 5th level. I think I'll do my take on Rul Scararm as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll do that tomorrow. I figured I need to figure out Mirado's % of max HP and just give him that. I know all my HP rolls, too.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...