Here are some random thoughts for the day.
Twitter Dungeon - DUNSÖNs & DRAGGANs - Ikea themed text dungeon.
Monster Colors - So there is a whole series of posts going on about monster colors. On one level I feel like, well, yeah, it says it right in the books that even humanoid monsters have lots of different skin colors. But then again just because some other people are just noticing the "odd" colors of some old monsters doesn't mean I'm special because I noticed before them. Still, it's why you'll see my monster minis painted many colors. Nothing says monsters should all be dull earth tones and humanoids variations on human skins.
In my own collection I have:
- goblins that are bright orange, yellow (mine and the original paintjob on some Reaper pre-paints), olive green, and blue.
- blue bugbears.
- purple metallic snakemen.
- yellow, orange, flesh-toned, brown, red, and blue ogres and giants. I use one of the blue ogres as a demon lord. No purple ones, purple is for snakemen!
- golden, red, brown, and blue lizards.
- a veritable rainbow of slimes! (I just like saying "veritable rainbow of slimes.")
- demons in red, white, blue, grey, green, yellow, and more.
- all sorts of brightly colored mutants and monsters and aliens. Any even slightly reasonable excuse to make crazy colored monsters is enough for me.
Okay, sure, my orcs are green and my hobgoblins are grey - shades of both. I like green orcs. I like grey skinned hobgoblins. But it's only a good thing if people re-discover the many hues and colors of monsters. By all means pick duller colors if you like, and picking a single theme for a race or type is probably a good idea just for player recognition purposes. Like red berries and tri-color snakes, it could be a hint of danger, and you can't have look-alike monsters if the looks don't tell a story. But yeah, bust out your other colors. If it takes Gary Gygax's monster descriptions to make you do it, that's fine, just do it!
Lawyers & Litigants - All negotiations and agreements in my game eventually seems to end up in some form of "technically, the wording of the agreement say that the party of the first part shall . . . " line of reasoning. Check the comments in this post. Remember, the spirit of the agreement applies to you; the letter of the agreement applies to them!
Blogging about blogging. - Want to start a new blog? Here are some pro tips for you:
Tenkar's Tavern - how to create a blog and a community.
Mailanka's Musings - how to blog about GURPS, but like a lot of GURPS material it's universally applicable.
and this post by Justin Aquino spelling out some of what he's looking for in posts, which might inspire you to write some.
Me, I pretty much came out of the gate with a plan and stuck to it. But although my chosen career is teaching people how to do things (speak, write, move, hit, etc.), I'm probably not going to blog about blogging. I might encourage you to do it yourself, but that's about all. Good thing others will tell you how to make the sausage.
Usually I post minis on Tuesday, but I'll see if I can't get a mini pic up for tomorrow instead!